Saturday, December 5, 2020

Why am I creating a children's book?

 So I'll bet a lot of you out there are wondering why am I doing this.  Why in the world would I create, draw and write a picture book for children?

First, I have two qualities from the cartoons I draw (my comics) that make me PERFECT for doing a children's book - I communicate an idea instantly and I draw funny.  Children's literature have always required that drawings be "read" and understood quickly plus they need to hold the children's interest.  I know I can do this; my simple line art lends itself well to children's books and I feel it can work.

Second, this is a personal mission - I have something I want to share with the world plus it is important for children to learn how to read.  In fact, tomorrow, I want to talk more about the importance of children learning how to read.

Most importantly...this could be my big break.  While I am making some money from my comics, producing a children's book could be the stepping stone I need to a full-time paying livelihood.

Before anyone starts accusing me of delusions of grandeur, I will make something clear - I am being realistic.  Short of a miracle, I will NOT become rich off one picture book, let alone make a living wage.

My point is that I'm not betting the farm on just one book.  More books with Hilda & Richie are planned!  At the time of this writing, story treatments exist for two more books with these two foxes.  Notes have been written for at least four more books.  Plus if all goes well, there's also foreign markets, licensing (toys, bedsheets, clothes, etc) and even an adaptation to another medium such as animation!

This very well could be the big one for me.  And I aim to make this happen.

Don't forget that Hilda & Richie launches on Kickstarter on January 6, 2021!

If you like my work, buy me a Ko-Fi!

No comments:

Post a Comment