Saturday, April 10, 2021

Hilda and Richie at the Little Free Library

 As I reported on my Kickstarter, copies of my book are now going out to backers.  But that's not what I'm talking about here today.

As I mentioned yesterday, I've made it a point to put some copies of Hilda & Richie in Little Free Libraries.  The Little Free Library is a non-profit organization based in the United States; they make books available to people who may not have access to public libraries or books otherwise.  The books are stored in custom built wooden boxes (you'll see those in a minute) by people called stewards and can be found in many places.  While some will be in residential neighborhood by schools, churches, apartments and houses, you may find them elsewhere such as inside museums and such.  It is basically an honor system.  You are free to take a book to read and encourage to leave a book in the box.  There are both children's books in there as well as general adult reading material such as fiction and non-fiction.

It turns out that there are a number of Little Free Library boxes throughout the Fargo metropolitan area.



This is one of the four boxes I put a paperback copy of Hilda & Richie in.  I put two copies in the Little Free Library of a pair of churches in downtown Fargo.


This is an example of a box housing a Little Free Library.  Some get creative as some of the box designs get really amazing!  If I come across those, I'll share photos here.

This one was in front of the Vocational Training Center in the Hawthorne neighborhood.


This box was in front of Hawthorne Elementary School.



Tomorrow, I plan to get up bright and early to put more copies of Hilda & Richie in Little Free Libraries.  Watch for more news!








No comments:

Post a Comment